Discovering DC: Eastern Market

15.3.13

For this week's Discovering DC we take a trip to Eastern Market with Colleen from The Style Heist!


What's your history with Eastern Market and DC?
My job transferred to D.C. in 2009 and I moved during Snowmaggedon! My moving van got stuck on the streets of Georgetown for 6 hours, and I spent my first two weeks living at the Holiday Inn on Wisconsin Avenue. I started out in an apartment in Glover Park, but the moment I discovered Eastern Market I fell in love! I finally moved here last December (and love that I don't have to fight for parking to spend Sunday at the market)!

Discovering Eastern Market- what are your favourite places to shop/eat/go with friends/people watch?
There are some amazing places to eat in this neighborhood - my all-time favorite is Zest Bistro, which has an amazing menu that changes with the seasons, wonderful ambiance, and the friendliest staff (it's owned by a Capitol Hill local). It's great for dinner, brunch, happy hour - you can't go wrong. Also, Aqua Al 2 is incredible (and famous - there are only three in the world, in Florence, San Francisco, and in our own backyard). I don't eat much meat but their Blueberry Steak makes me want to eat red meat every night.

There is one shop that is a hidden gem - I go to (almost) weekly, and the shop ladies know my name! I almost don't want to tell you what it is because I don't want to ruin it - it's called Clothes Encounters, and sells the best designer consignment I have ever found. You have to dig a little, but I've found my best pieces here: A Gucci leather pencil skirt ($60), vintage Tracy Reece silk brocade cigarette pants ($30), a pair of Tod's camel leather driving moccasins ($70)... I could go on for pages!

Perfect way to spend a Saturday in Eastern Market?
Take the 7 AM class at Bikram Capitol Hill, pick up a soy latte from Pound, meet friends for brunch (and pop tarts) at Ted's Bulletin, get my nails done at Eastern Market Nails (when I get them done here, my manicures last forever!), hoof it to the Botanic Garden or wander the flea market, and then get Salvadorian food and sangria at La Plaza with my boyfriend. And be in bed before 11!

The Style Heist

You can follow Colleen on Twitter here. For more posts in the Discovering DC archive click here. 

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground