Discovering DC: Petworth

10.5.13

This week's Discovering DC heads to Petworth, and we're guided through the area by Leah of Pixels and Pumps!

What's your history with Petworth and DC?
Both of my older sisters moved to this area after school, so I was familiar with the DMV area and always loved coming to visit them.  I ended up attending school at American University in DC, and during my senior year, my fiancée and I moved into our Petworth home where we've lived for the last 2 and half years.  I work for the Government and started a blog when I officially moved into the city, which has really helped me explore and learn to appreciate everything DC has to offer.

Discovering Petworth- what are your favourite places to shop/eat/go with friends/people watch?
We love going to Taqueria Distrito Federal for tacos on Kennedy Street.
Epiphany Open Pit Beef & Subs on Georgia Avenue is amazing if you love BBQ or southern-style food (I could eat the mac’n’cheese every day).
Looking Glass Lounge on Georgia Avenue is a popular spot when we hang out with friends or want to grab a drink.
For shopping we’ll head down the road to Columbia Heights, up to the Silver Spring town center, or get on the metro to head downtown.  Our neighborhood is quiet, and it’s kind of nice to be secluded from major shopping areas and busy streets - you get the best of both worlds that way.
My fiancée loves working out at Second Wind Crossfit on 14th Street.  He’s made a lot of new friends there and his obsession has made me consider forgoing my free gym at work to join!
I love walking, going for a run, or even just driving down Georgia Avenue; so much has changed in the short time we've lived here and I can’t imagine how much more Petworth will grow in the next few years.

Perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Petworth?
Take a walk down Georgia Avenue to see the new and old businesses, all the character, artwork, and history of the neighborhood.  Grab a house-made soda and bite to eat at Three Little Pigs.  Make sure to stop in to some open houses and see how developers transform historic DC row homes into beautiful new spaces.  Stop at a park to enjoy the nice weather and people watch!

Pixels and Pumps
You can follow Leah on Twitter here. For more posts from the Discovering DC archive click here. 

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground